JAS Consulting is the brainchild of radio veteran Jerry Smith. Jerry has been in the music and entertainment industry for 36 years. Jerry’s on-air radio experience is very diverse, from Gospel to Rock, Top 40, R&B, Urban AC, Classic Rock, Oldies, Hip Hop, and AC.
Jerry uses all of his format experiences to program his stations at a high level. Smith has developed groundbreaking programming for the Contemporary Gospel Radio format. After the ratings success of WNNL, The Light 103.9 FM in Raleigh North Carolina a wave of Inspiration stations were launched nationwide using The Light 103.9 as its model. Jerry was the content coordinator for Radio One’s gospel stations overseeing 14 stations and helped to launch 7 of those stations nationwide.
Jerry Smith was a part of the brain trust team for several of Urban One’s biggest events. The Women’s Empowerment Network Expo, The Radio One Love Cruise, Lamplighter Awards Show, and the Radio One Comedy Tour.
JAS Consulting is a company that specializes in consulting the Gospel music radio format, radio promotions for national recording artists, booking agency, concert, and special events planner.
Jerry Smith, CEO, Gospel Music Programmer, Teacher, Visionary and Entrepreneur
At the age of 12 years, old Smith knew that radio was the career he was called to do. Seven years later at the age of 19, he was on the air in college at Central Connecticut University as DJ Hollywood on then 97.9 WFCS FM the college campus radio station.
In addition to Smith’s love for radio Smith has a passion to help bring people together and to help them enhance their lives through motivation and information. Smith always stresses the message “Knowledge Is Power and The More We Know the More We Grow.”
Smith credits his vast knowledge in the broadcast industry with being taught by great programming minds on his ascension to being regarded as the top Gospel programming mind in the industry.
Smith credits Jim McManus, both Jon Stevens, Henry Hinton, David Horn, Dick Shannon, Alan Sneed, Don Kelly, Cy Young, Jay Michaels, Jeff Majors, and Jay Stevens for pouring a wealth of programming knowledge into him.
Smith is a sought after speaker in the music industry and often is invited to be on Gospel music panels on an annual basis. Smith says that he is blessed to have a career in what he loves to do and that it’s his faith, family, friends, and community he that drives him to use his God-given gifts to bless and empower people. Jerry served as the Chair for the St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital Radio Cares Advisory board from 2013 - 2018.
Smith is married to Cheryl Perry – Smith and has two beautiful daughters, Quintel and Lauren.
Awards and Recognition
· 2001 Jerry was awarded The Drummer Award for Program Director of the Year by BRE Magazine. At that time he was the first Gospel Program Director to ever win the award.
· 2002 Jerry was awarded the Gospel Truth Magazine National Gospel Program Director of the year.
· 2004 The Light under Jerry’s leadership was the winner of the 2004 NAB Marconi Award for Religious station of the year.
· 2005 Jerry was named as co-winner of the first-ever Radio and Records Gospel Program Director of the Year Award.
· 2010 Jerry was nominated for a Stellar Award for radio Personality of The Year.
· 2014 The Light 103.9 was the winner of the Stellar Award for the Medium Market Station of The Year.
· 2015, 2016, 2017and 2018, 2020, The Light was a finalist for the Stellar Award for Station of the year.
· 2019 Man of Greatness Award
· 2020 The Gospel Hip Hop Awards “Living Legend Award”